Monday, July 30, 2012

A Gently and Quiet What???

A few weeks ago I posted about my fascination with the Proverbs 31 Woman. While researching this mystery woman I came across this book. The book is called "The Proverbs 31 Woman Handbook" written by Laura Velez and it is a doozey. She basically goes through the entire proverb and breaks down each verse. She even shows you the Greek root words and applies them to the passage. I have not finished the book yet, but it has definitely shaken me up and made me look at the proverb differently. I won't go into too much detail about it so that you can get what you get out of reading it (if you choose to do so.) I will go ahead and comment on a few things that I've learned thus far though. ;)

I originally thought that the woman was doing all these things and the man was getting all the glory. The man does find pleasure in her good ways but that is not the reason she is doing them. She is also not doing them just because they are a list to be accomplished. The LORD provided man with a help mate or companion, and she has responsibilities that the LORD requires. She is not held accountable for what her husband does, what people think of him, or even what her husband thinks of her. She is accountable for doing what the LORD has set before her with an attitude of joy.

There are MANY things in the book that were hard to swallow but the more I pray and hold my tongue the better it gets. I wondered in my last post what a modern day proverbs 31 woman would look like. So far... I have gathered the following:
- she does not over schedule herself
- her husband trusts her completely
- she is a soldier for Christ
- she longs to please the LORD with her life
- she has a gentle and quiet spirit
- she is wise beyond her years
- she never goes a day without her time with the LORD
- her beauty comes from within
- she has a kind 'just do it' attitude
- she has a love for EVERYONE

This in depth study of this woman made me realize two things. First, I never understood this proverb correctly...second, I am no where near a proverbs 31 woman...and third, the more I grow in Christ the closer I become to being a proverbs 31 woman.

The part I am working on most is having a gentle and quiet spirit. It.....is....soooo hard!!! I try and think- would God approve of what is about to come out of your mouth or should you do a self check. Let's just say I'm having to self check more than I'd like!!

If you are a woman struggling with this like me - I encourage you to read this book and of course the word. :)

Blessings and love to you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment