Sunday, July 8, 2012

Proverbs 31 Woman: Human or Not??

* Please note I have done no research on this Proverb other than just reading it. If you can enlighten me with your knowledge please do with a comment; I would love that!! *

The Proverbs 31 women is such a mystery to me....so much that I read that Proverb over and over.
In case you have not read the Proverb here it is below:

Proverbs 31 (about the women):

10-31 A good woman is hard to find,
and worth far more than diamonds.
Her husband trusts her without reserve,
and never has reason to regret it.
Never spiteful, she treats him generously
all her life long.
She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,
and enjoys knitting and sewing.
She's like a trading ship that sails to faraway places
and brings back exotic surprises.
She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast
for her family and organizing her day.
She looks over a field and buys it,
then, with money she's put aside, plants a garden.
First thing in the morning, she dresses for work,
rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.
She senses the worth of her work,
is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.
She's skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,
diligent in homemaking.
She's quick to assist anyone in need,
reaches out to help the poor.
She doesn't worry about her family when it snows;
their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.
She makes her own clothing,
and dresses in colorful linens and silks.
Her husband is greatly respected
when he deliberates with the city fathers.
She designs gowns and sells them,
brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.
Her clothes are well-made and elegant,
and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.
When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,
and she always says it kindly.
She keeps an eye on everyone in her household,
and keeps them all busy and productive.
Her children respect and bless her;
her husband joins in with words of praise:
"Many women have done wonderful things,
but you've outclassed them all!"
Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.
The woman to be admired and praised
is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.
Give her everything she deserves!
Festoon her life with praises!
(taken from The Message on  www.biblegateway.com)


 She does not have a name, no description of her (other than her works), no time to herself, and no insight on how to be her (other than Fearing the LORD, which may the whole story but I'll get to that later.) In this Proverb she does EVERYTHING and never complains, nor seeks praise, and is humble in doing so. Her husband is respected by others because of her, but it does not say what he does. Honestly, I try to be her and I soooo fail. I come home from an 8 hr. day, clean the apartment, cook dinner, take care of the dog, and then give extra attention to my husband ;) and by 11 pm when I have showered and into bed I AM EXHAUSTED (and that's not everyday mind you) How did she do it? She did it without complaining, being humble, and I think she enjoyed it. HOW HOW HOW!?!?! Why is there not another book from her perspective? Why is she not given a name? Was she not worthy of a name? Why did she do all of those things?

I want to be the best wife possible but I just can't fathom doing that every single day and I don't even have children yet?! In this small section in Proverbs their is a glimpse of a super woman. Was she even real? Is she just an example to try and be like but never could? I do enjoy cooking for my husband and spending time with him, but I only enjoy cleaning when the music is on so I can sing (that doesn't happen much in our small, thin walled, apartment complex). I guess I just wonder how a modern day woman does all that, still has time for herself, and also makes time for the LORD.

The end of the Proverb sounds like a reward to me:
'The woman to be admired and praised
is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.
Give her everything she deserves!
Festoon her life with praises!'

What happens if you do all that ever day (which I don't currently) and the reward is not received? I know it's not all about what you get out of it, but how do you keep going if your exhausted and feel unappreciated? I read this book called "The Five Love Language" and it talks about how everyone has a love tank and they have love languages. If their love tank is not filled than they are unhappy and have a hard time trying to fill their spouses love tank. Was the Proverbs 31 woman's love tank filled? From the scripture it sounds like her husbands was overflowing!! The scripture also doesn't say what she gains from all of her works. I guess all that matters is that she Fears the LORD and does what pleases Him. By her fearing the LORD, I can see where she draws her strength. Fearing the LORD is hard to explain. Its not a fear like you would fear snakes, but more of a worship to the LORD. An example that helps me is to relate to my wonderful earthly father. Whenever I was younger and I use to disobey him he would spank me. In the future, if I disobeyed him I knew what was coming so I was 'afraid' of his punishment. The older I got the more I was afraid of disappointing my father. The punishment would sting for a bit but his disappointment would last so much longer. I was not afraid of my father, but I never ever wanted to disappoint him so I did what I could to not do that. I'm sure their is a much better way to explain that but that is how I understand it. We want the LORD to look at us and say "Well done my good and faithful servant", and in order to do so we must fear / worship the LORD.

I guess the selfishness inside of me thinks that it is unfair for the wife to work so hard and her husband is respected because of her. Is she respected because of what he does - which I have no idea what that is according to this Proverb? I for one, can always use more humility and patience and honestly I don't have to understand...I just wish their was more to this Proverb. I want to know more about her and how she felt doing those things everyday. What would a modern day Proverbs 31 woman look like? Are their any out there?? Working all day, no babysitters, no cleaning maids, no cooks, no take out for dinner, no complaining, no expecting a thank you or your husband to help you, and no built up feelings of anger.

I have a hard time believing this women existed - but everything in the Bible is God's word and I am not about to doubt Him. I'm sorry if this post was all over the place, but I just wish their was more to this Proverb. I have concluded that I am going to do my own research on this 'woman.' A non-school project that I am doing willingly (what is happening! :)? I love my husband and I love my LORD so I will do more research, pray even more, and learn to have more patience and humility.

God bless you all and love to you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment